26 September 2009

I hear VOICES!


I went to a cooking demonstration at Brookwood Community yesterday with my friend Cynthia. They decided to channel Julia Child and had their chef, Laura Day, show us how to make the famous Boeuf Bourguignon (fancy title for roast beef stew with fancy veg). We also were served lunch consisting of the same and believe me, it was well worth it! I may have to gather up all these ingredients myself and try my hand at this ala "Julie and Julia" sans the profanity (as well as the "falling asleep and forgetting to take it out of the oven so it was ruined" scenario). Shoot, I might even have to go buy this lovely Ruffoni pan to make it in! (Forget high fashion - I go weak at the knees when I see stuff like this).

Anyway, during the demonstration, I received a phone call that I missed because it's just not good form to keep one's mobile ringer on during French Cooking Demonstrations (although NO ONE told that to the two men who attended because both of them received calls and wouldn't you know those guys, both in their 50s or 60s, had obnoxious song ringtones? isn't there some law against that if you are a male over the age of 14?). After I got to the car I turned my ringer back on and noticed I'd missed a call and had a voicemail waiting. I was glad then that I'd missed the call because now I have this message recorded to listen to over and over again (not to mention also sharing it with Mike later last night).

"Hello? Hey, Gramma?? This is Kennedy. I was hoping to have a princess cake for my birthday. So could you please make me that, please Gramma? I love you too. I love you, Gramma, Gramma Cheri. Bye!"

That's it, verbatim. I listened over and over to get it down word for word. You see, I'd phoned Megan earlier to ask what kind of cake Kennedy wanted. She wasn't sure if so said she'd ask her when she got home from school. I knew she was going to the San Antonio Zoo for her birthday and thought she might want a zoo themed cake. But given Kennedy's history, I figured Princesses could figure high up on the chart of Birthday Cake Interests. So Megan must have discussed it with Kennedy and Kennedy was calling to take care of business.

This is very significant to me because, well, it's my first "grandchild left" voicemail. The first of many I hope.

And, yes, Kennedy, I will be VERY happy to bake and make you a princess cake. Love you, sweetheart.

1 comment:

Megan said...

It made me laugh listening to her leave the message. I was a bit concerned because she had told me the day before she wanted a hammer cake. Why? I think because she happened to see one laying on the ground. I didn't know what she was going to tell you! :)