15 June 2008

Happy Father's Day, Mike!


This is me with my mom and dad and sister in Lubbock back in 1959.
The ONLY time you'll see me in a two-piece! Yes, that's me waving
"Hi!" to you, Mike. Yes, I'm the cute brunette on the left - and I
always knew I'd find you.

Ah, it's Father's Day! And what is the love of my life, my Chief Friend, and the father of my children doing this glorious day of recognition? He's on a flight to Amsterdam. In all fairness, when the trip came up months ago, he did suggest that I come with him - he'd take some vacation and we'd go to London as well for a few days. That was before our Disney trip in January and the US Dollar went belly-up against the Euro. So rather than spending our retirement for a 10 day trip, we decided...hmmm....no. Sad but true. And today became the only day available on the church rota to host a baby shower for Crichelle (Jordan and Jaxon are still in Texas Childrens but are doing really well - either almost to or at 5 lbs - see www.jclarry.com for details!).

So Mike flies to Amsterdam. I host a baby shower. Not the most auspicious way to spend the day for HIM (but I'll get a couple of those cute little Delft houses KLM give out - yeah, me!). But when he gets back, THAT'S when the goin' gets good! Tim and Megan drive down Friday night with Kennedy and Lleyton for a vacation here. Then Jennifer, Ben and Luke fly down on the following Wednesday to join the party already going. On the following Saturday, we head up to Keller with Jenny and the boys to have a week's vacation getting to see Chris, Jenjer and Mirai. On July 4th, Mirai will have her 1st birthday part at Mike's folks house as we celebrate Independence Day. So I'd say the best is yet to come!

Jennifer, Tim and Chris - I hope you realize how much you mean to your father. Even though he was "on the road" or working long hours as you were growing up, he never flagged in his love, care, concern and prayers for you. And the joy he's known watching you grow to adulthood and finding spouses of your own is beyond compare. Jason, Jenjer and Megan - I hope you know that you are considered our children just as if you were birth children. You have been prayed for since your spouse's youth. Your journey as spouses and parents are of paramount importance to him (as well as myself) and Mike has frequently expressed his deep desire that he have a lifelong close and loving relationship with all six of his children. And to have given this man all these grandchildren is beyond expression! He feels so very blessed, I assure you.

Psalms 127 states it so very well:

3 Lo, children are an heritage of the
Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.


Happy Father's Day to the man who made me what I am today - a mother (as well as an extremely blessed woman!) :) And Happy Dad's Day to Jason, Tim and Chris - par excellence in the Next Generation. Watch and learn, boys. Watch and learn.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yah- fathers do a great job! Hooray for dads.