10 September 2007

Tales of children - or what they did

I read all these fun stories of what children did or said and I have my own little tale to tell. The story is a bit old (about 21 years old, truth be told) but is pretty good none-the-less.

Kids are always on about fairness - "that's not fair" is a mantra we hear day in, day out from our children when they are young. We were no exception. Despite our best efforts to reason out why life wasn't fair, it always boiled down to "that's not fair" as far as the kids were concerned it seemed. One day Chris had to go to the doctor for an illness - he was feeling really puny, was going to continue that way for awhile and, feeling really bad that HE felt really bad, I did what any self-respecting mother would do - I bought him a toy.

Now Chris was about 4 years old at this time. Big brother Timothy was a first grader and had reached the illustrious, mature age of 6. So Chris and I are at home, resting after our exertions as the doctors, the resultant trip to the pharmacy and the purchase of the aforementioned toy when Jennifer and Timothy come home from school (we were living in Norway which means that it wasn't EASY to get out and do all this go to the doctor stuff - Europe in general does not have the drive-in/through, 24/7 convenience of the US of A) and Tim immediately notices the toy. He starts moping and sulking. I ask him what's wrong.


"Chris got a new toy."

Yes he did.

"Why didn't I get a new toy?"

Well, you weren't sick and didn't have to go to the doctor.

More sulking.

You think I should have bought you a toy too?


More moping.

So whatever Chris gets, you should get? Is that what you're saying?

Tim nods.

You sure about that? I ask.

He nods again.

So I reach over and give him a swat on his backside. With surprise on his face mingled with dismay, he exclaims, "What was THAT for?!?"

I replied, Chris got a spanking today and I ONLY WANTED TO BE FAIR!

I never heard another word about fairness from that child for the next 10 years.

No comments: