31 May 2008

Argh! And DOUBLE Argh!!!

As previously posted, I got Mike a Wii for Father's Day and gave it to him early. We all played it last weekend for Memorial Day as we were all gathered for Luke's 1st birthday. I packed it up and brought it home to Katy and just today brought it out to set it up on our big screen here. Got all the bits put right and then no sound. We have a home theater system which makes me think things MUST be harder than they really are.

I could get picture but no sound. I checked all the audio inputs in the receiver. I double checked them all. I turned off auxiliary components. Pushed more buttons. Figured I'd screwed up the rest of the system totally but by gum, I was going to figure this out!

I finally realized that all I needed was the TV sound - nothing on the receiver - and the TV sound had been turned all the way off. Sigh...simple remedy...involved diagnosis.

Then, at 10:30pm, I had the BRIGHT idea to get the thing hooked up to the internet! Must be simple right? There's an ethernet connection right behind the TV. Just hook it up and get connected. Again. Wrong. I guess that particular connection isn't hooked up to our hub up in the "big closet of unknown security and interent connections to be messed with only by Comcast employees who take three weeks to arrive and charge at least $65 for the first hour" - you know the one? So I tried going wireless - afterall, I have this nifty Airport Express thingie which serves as a wireless adapter for the net. Or so the RUMOR goes...

I hook it all up, click the button to "find an access point" and watch the cute little squares blink on the TV with the very ZEN water music playing in the background, getting very relaxed. All my wireless networks show up! Hurray! So I pick the one I usually use. Asks for password. Uh-oh. Chris set it up a year ago and I've never been able to remember the password. I go to my Mac laptop and through thorough investigative digging, finally figure out how to get ANY password stored on my computer! How nifty - if I can remember how I got to that point at some time in the future. But I digress...

Find the password (and it was SO SIMPLE I was totally embarrassed - right here in my own living room.) Put in password and click "check connection". It's now 11:02pm and I'm thinking "maybe this isn't as simple as I thought'. Watch little blinking blue squares again with zen-like music smug in my ability to trouble shoot only to be brought back to reality with "Error Code:52130 Unable to connect to the Internet. Please see the Wii Operations Manual or visit support.nintendo.com for assistance."

I think I'll just go to bed. This can only end badly if I persevere tonight. Thrown Wiis have voided warranties, I'm pretty sure.

So THIS little piggy is going, "Wii, wii, wii" all the way to bed.

Good night.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yes, we have such a love-hate relationship with technology. I can't tell you the number of times I've called Colin saying something like, "We can see Finding Nemo but we can't hear it." Or, "Ok, we can hear Cars but we can't see it."

And don't even get me STARTED on the cable company.

emily said...

So... did it get figured out??

Emily said...

Yes, I love the Pioneer Woman! I have read her for awhile now. I have used a couple of her tutorials. I just feel overwhelmed with photoshop right now. Grrr...